After the first Mental Marketing secret, we have now established that we can apply mentalism to advertising.
Are you ready for another secret? Let's see how an hypnosis technique can amplify the persuasiveness of your marketing campaigns.
The lie detector
The starting point is a treaty about hypnosis (Patterns of the Hypnotic Techniques by Milton H. Erikson) where the famous American psychotherapist studies the cognitive processes from the movements of the eyes. In mentalism these techniques are used to understand if the spectator is lying (you can imagine the countless applications).
Without going into detail, Erikson divides people into three categories:
- Those who are more likely to watch.
- Those who are more likely to listen.
- Those who love to talk to themselves.
How does this apply to advertising?
It's important to keep in mind the cognitive processes of all our potential customers.
The most common mistake is to create campaigns for only one of the 3 groups, usually the one which we belong, losing effectiveness with the remaining two thirds of the audience.
The first group of people is more attracted by the pictures, the second one by music and words. Finally people that belong to the third group love to argue and imagine.
For example, if we have to sell a glass:
- We have to show the shining, the play of light and the exquisite craftsmanship of the glass (for people that like to look at).
- We then gently tap the rim of the glass to hear the sweet sound of the crystal (for people predisposed to listen).
- Finally we say "Imagine how this glass would look good on your table" (for people who love to talk to themselves).
Did you like this article up to here?
Before you continue, follow us on our Google+ page pressing the button here below!
In this way, we'll be able to keep you updated on digital strategies not only with our posts, but also with the best articles that we collect around the web.
If you want to also press the +1 button, you'll help us spread the article on the web.
How does this apply to web marketing?
Also in this case it is important to use all possible tools to reach out the 3 types of visitor, without neglecting any.
On a e-commerce web site, when we have to show a product:
- We have to use a lot of images (for people that like to look at).
- We have to attach video tutorials (for people predisposed to listen).
- We have to provide technical details and comparative tables (for people who love to talk to themselves).
In the future, when a magician will tell you "your card may be red", do not be surprised if he'll be watching intently into your eyes.